- 1 bag (17.5 ounce) of Rao’s Homemade Orecchiette Pasta
- 1/4 cup Rao’s Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- 1 pound Italian sausage, a combination of hot and sweet according to your taste, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 pound broccoli rabe, cleaned
- 1 cup broccoli rabe water (see below)
- freshly grated Pecorino Romano cheese (optional)
- Remove any tough outer or damaged leaves from all broccoli rabe. Cut off stems and tear leaves into large pieces (about 3 to 4 inches). Place broccoli rabe in a deep saucepan with cold water covering it by about 2 inches.
- Bring water just to a simmer over high heat. As soon as bubbles appear at the sides of the pan, remove from heat and drain cooking water. (Reserve rabe cooking water.)
- Immediately place broccoli rabe in cold water to stop the cooking process. Once cool, drain well in a colander and pat dry. Cover with a damp cloth and refrigerate until ready to add to dish.
- Cook Rao’s Homemade Orecchiette Pasta in rapidly boiling salted water until al dente. Drain Orecchiette.
- While pasta is cooking, heat oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat, stir in garlic.
- Add the sausages and sauté until meat is cooked.
- Add cooked broccoli rabe to sausage. Add rabe water, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Raise heat and cook until sauce is hot.
- Return drained Orecchiette to the pot. Place over medium-high heat and stir in 3/4 cup of broccoli rabe and sausage sauce.
- Toss together for 1 minute. Remove from heat and pour into a large serving platter or bowl.
- Spoon remaining sauce over the top. Sprinkle with Pecorino Romano cheese.